Testing the Strong Ones


My grandparents house is a common setting for my dreams.  It’s not always my grandparents house, but it always is.  You know the way dreams go.   A lot of my dreams are set in this house.   My grandmother died nearly 12 years ago.  But she has always been alive when I dream. Last night, in my dream, my grandmother was dead.  Granddaddy wasn't.

I was in the basement of that house with an important person in my life, someone who has never actually been in that house.  I told him I had to go upstairs to check on my granddaddy.  The house was in the condition it was in when I was home just over a month ago.  All of his possessions sorted into piles.  Sell, keep, discard.  Items that had been on the same shelf in the same room since before I was born no longer there.  But in my dream granddaddy wasn’t dead.  He was there as the house was emptied.  Grandmother wasn’t.  My dreams are a death behind. 

Post a Comment